Viewing the King James Version. Click to switch to 1611 King James Version of 2 Timothy 2:15.
- King James Bible "Authorized Version", Cambridge Edition
View Wesley's Notes for 2 Timothy 2:15
2:15 A workman that needeth not to be ashamed - Either of unfaithfulness or unskilfulness. Rightly dividing the word of truth - Duly explaining and applying the whole scripture, so as to give each hearer his due portion. But they that give one part of the gospel to all (the promises and comforts to unawakened, hardened, scoffing men) have real need to be ashamed.
View People's Bible Notes for 2 Timothy 2:15
2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself. To this end the utmost diligence must be used. Approved unto God. Such a preacher that his work will please the Heavenly Father. A workman that needeth not to be ashamed. Whose life and work are such as to honor Christ and the gospel. This requires a pure life as well as judicious work. Rightly dividing the word of truth. The Revised Version reads, "Handling aright". The Greek word "orthotomeo" means, literally, "cutting straight". The thought, probably, is to present the truth clearly, truthfully, without blunders, and with an exactness which cannot be gainsaid.
Archie Meade's comment on 2013-01-27 10:27:43:
We need to study the Word of God. Be not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Lawrence Hempel's comment on 2012-11-26 16:32:51:
Kathy's comment has merit, but falls short. There are 4 programs or divisions to the Bible.
1) Pre Jewish Law (Genesis to Exodus 19);
2) Under the Jewish Law (Exodus 20 to Acts 7);
3) Christian church age (Acts 8 -Philemon);
4) Tribulational and Millennial to Hebrew-Christians after the Rapture of the Church (Hebrews to Revelation);
5) Divided in this light the verses in the New Testament that confuse "works" and "grace" are eliminated from the portion of scripture directly aimed at the Christian in the "church" age where salvation is by grace and nothing more.
Kathy's comment on 2011-08-14 12:02:37:
this is one of the first passages in the Bible that tells of the 2 programs that God set forth in the Bible. this program aimed at the gentiles..The whole Bible is good...But God has made it clear that with the anointing of Saul into Paul that he was for the first time dealing with Gentiles, thus rightly dividing the bible is important to Christians, the body of Christ. He told Iseral what to do and now he is telling the Gentiles what to do.
Share your own thoughts or commentary here...